the sunny side {up}

breakfast for dinner is always a fave around here.
truly, there is not a dinner we love more than a hearty breakfast.

french toast. pancakes. peanut butter toast. 
omelette. scrambled egg. chicken&maple sausage.
turkey bacon. waffles. scrambled eggies.
you name it.
we love it. 

i credit my daddy dearest for this breakfast love affair.
growing up as a brett girl, i had many a nights dining over terry brett's
famous bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.

this wasn't just any ol' sandwich. 
it was made in true terry brett style. 

the toast is only slightly toasted. crispy, yet still soft. 
definitely no brown crumbs on this toast.
extra butter. 

the eggs were perfectly fried.
sunny side up.
extra salt. extra pepper.
dad knew that i didn't like my eggs runny.
neither did mom.

the bacon was extra, extra crispy.
the cheese was melted.

the sandwich was squished together, cut in half, and devoured with a capital D.
D for Daddy

to this day, my dad still serves as a short order chef, 
whipping up one of his little creations upon request. 

he makes them for me. he makes them for the boys. he makes them for friends.
(the ones that spent countless nights eating them when we were kids)

he can even make them in mini-snack size. 

i have tried to master the terry brett special,
and i have to admit, i have come close... but its just not the same.
i guess i will just continue to show up unannounced and let him wait on me.

 i dont have to turn in my key just because i am getting married in 80 days, right daddy?

thankfully, my lovie has yet to try my dads sandwich.
the sweet boy thinks mine are the best out there.
part of me feels like i am leaving him out of a great secret.
but the bigger part of me relishes in the fact that one sweet soul in this world 
thinks that i make the very best, ultimate, perfect egg sandwich. 

i even get fancy and make him gourmet sandwiches. 
like tonight.
allow me to introduce you to the kristen brett special...
 egg, pesto, spinach, and salami sammie. 


i started with a hearty, whole grain, ciabbata bread.
i read one time that whole grain is more nutritional than multi-grain.
i read it. so, i believe it. 

if you put the bread in the oven and set the broiler to high,
the bread comes out with crispy edges.


two organic, cage free, sunny side up eggs.
make them to your liking. runny or not.


basil pesto? yes, please. 
i cannot get enough of this stuff. 
i put it on everything. 

spread the pesto on the warm bread.
dont be stingy. its good for you. 
and it is just oh-so-good.


assemble to your liking.
this is how i did it.

crispy bread.
basil pesto.
baby spinach leaves.
sunny side uppers.
thin sliced salami.
crispy bread.

divine. 


my hubby-to-be agrees. 

oh, and by the way. do you notice this darling little plate? 
get this.
growing up at the brett house we all loved using this plate. 
"you are special today."

my first day of school. patricks birthday. davids soccer goal. drew babys A+.
whenever there was a reason to celebrate, we used this plate. 

i had completely forgotten about this plate until i was perusing 
through Home Goods with my mom a few months ago. 
I saw this red plate and our sweet family memories came flooding back. 

i couldnt put it down. it was surely coming home with me. 
i love being able to surprise my lovie on random days with this simple little plate.
little words. big meaning. 

it is the simple moments in life that remind me how blessed i am.
i definitely live life on the sunny side {up}

3 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! And I love that plate! I think the Smiths need one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good!! The plate is so sweet.

    And PS - I'm officially following you now - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a beautiful sandwich ... that ciabatta looks TDF!

    I love the story on that plate. :) What a cool memory and now you get to pass it along with your fiance.

    So glad to have found your blog - I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...